“Thirteen Notes on ‘New Writing’ in Ashland in August 13”
[State of the Language]
1. : Why do we need to need it? Can’t we just want it?
2. : Lyric poetry is the gold standard. Facebook is the lyric self.
3. : The market ability of uselessness. Art buys and sells attention.
4. : A consumer provider in this semiotic market.
5. : All art forms are
discoveries discourses. Poetry as a
6. : Reassuring. I too feel. Not everything is for everybody.
7. : All poetry is fiction. 3 bananas. You are only the people you know.
8. : Narrowcasting. Broadcasting. Poetry grows by division.
9. : Genre is a room in a museum. If a committee likes it, you’ve reached too many people.
10. : A medium is a mode of engagement. Red lemonade. Encountership.
11. : The point of poetry is no longer the object. It is the platforms.
12. : From the means of distribution to the means of fabrication.
13. : I’m interested in the kernel of the indigestible real. Hot stuff in a cold vessel.
14. : Reading of voltage in a poem. Where is our attention drawn.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Wednesday, January 22, 2014